Sunday, April 8, 2007

Mixed Movie Meme

Because I'm taking it easy today ... sort of.


What genre of movie do you like most?


Not anime. Not war or western. Not slasher. Most anything else, but most often Comedy.


What movie made you cry the most?


West Side Story did a number on me when I was 12, but as a grown up I'd have to say Love, Actually. For the airport scenes, alone.


Do you own any soundtracks from movies? Which is your favorite and why did the music inspire you?


Without unpacking fully, I'd say I own Practical Magic, What Women Want, and Camelot.
I've always rather cottoned to Camelot, actually. Film version only -- Richard Harris, no Robert Goulet.


Is there a particular actor or actress who inspires you? Why do you like him or her?


Inspires? I don't know about "inspires" but I used to want to be Meg Ryan some day. If we're going to go all sort of metaphysical here, probably Katherine Hepburn. I like and admire Dustin Hoffman and Tom Hanks. And then there's Johnny Depp, but that's another sort of inspiration altogether.


Is there a particular actor or actress who you just dislike and will not see their movies? Why?


Gee, Jim Carey jumped immediately to my mind. Yet I own Liar Liar, which didn't bother me so much because his character was exactly how I see him: loud-mouthed and obnoxious, and that was the point of the film. I don't like Will Farrel, either, but I like Elf well enough in spite of him. And I seriously do not like Tom Cruise, Mr. I'm-So-Slick, but I like War of the Worlds enough to watch it once in awhile.


If there was ever a movie made of your life, who should star as you?


Kathy Bates.

HAHA!

I don't think Meg Ryan is up to it.


FAVORITE PRETTY MUCH COMEDIES

Calendar Girls (How surprised was I to find that my almost-80 yo mother feels the same? She says she's mellowing. ;o) )
Practical Magic
When Harry Met Sally (seven stars out of five)
Funny Farm
What About Bob?
The Full Monty (I would have applauded the final moment in this one if I had seen it in a theatre -- especially Fat Dave.)
City Slickers
The Money Pit (first time I saw it I laughed til I was nearly sick because we were so close to living it: Laughter, the Best Medicine)
Four Weddings and a Funeral -- and add Hugh Grant to that list of actors who annoy me but I keep loving films he's in anyway
Office Space
Clueless (I don't know why, but I do)
Drop Dead Gorgeous
Roxanne
Tootsie
Turner and Hooch
Parenthood
Michael
The Birdcaqe



DRAMAS

Um, have to come back to this one


MUSICALS

I don't like musicals if I think about it, but if I don't, I would say:

Camelot
Fiddler on the Roof
Annie

Yeah, it's a short list. Maybe:

Rent


FANTASY AND SCI-FI

All Harry Potters, but especially the first one
All Lord of the Rings, but especially the first one
Willow
Labyrinth
The Princess Bride


SCARY or THRILLER

Secret Window (not to be confused with Rear Window)
Skeleton Key
Rear Window (not to be confused with Secret Window)
Joy Ride
Sleepy Hollow
The Birds
Misery
Snow White (Sigourney Weaver)


CHILDREN'S

Shrek
Shrek 2
Probably Shrek 3 when it's released
Wallace and Grommit -- Curse of the Were-Rabbit
Peter Pan (the recent one with real people)



CAN'T FIND A CATEGORY

Finding Neverland
Pirates of the Caribbean
Pirates of the Caribbean 2
Love, Actually
The Witches of Eastwick
The Fifth Element
Fairy Tale: A True Story
Jurassic Park
The Wedding Banquet
Ghost
All the Indiana Jones series
The first three Star Wars films


OKAY, DRAMA

Philadelphia
The Crucible
The African Queen
The Joy-Luck Club
Kundin
Photographing Fairies
The Hours
Life as a House


And a host of others I'll smack myself on the forehead for forgetting later.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

I loved this post, Mom. Learned a lot about you. I love musicals, and have an entire shelf of movie soundtracks, but I also hate Jim Carrey and Will Ferrell. And I remember well the first time we watched Money Pit and Funny Farm, and how you laughed. Me too. Good thing for laughter in those days.

Laume said...

Trivia -

Funny Farm - I went to school with Madolyn, the woman who plays Chevy's wife. We were in the same class, same clubs, etc. I was even in a play or two with her. We were in the same crowd and I assume she'd remember me even after all these years, although it would be a stretch to say we were friends - more like social friends.

The Birds - my mom used to live and work in Bodega - at the restaurant where some of the scenes for the movie were filmed. You're not far from there now in SF - you should go take a day trip up the coast there.