Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Moving Right Along ...

I forget the blogs are here half the time. Facebook is so much quicker and more efficient -- but also, alas, more shallow. Still, it's nice to keep everyone I've ever known (who has internet access, and a couple of people don't) right there, organized tidily, in a place where we can remain aware of one another. There's something metaphysically *right* about that. We're All One. :o)

Noah is here. He's not *here,* actually, he's out exploring and looking forward to Robin's arrival tonight. We just had a cloudburst (I don't think they use that word here) and I hope he was indoors somewhere, but he's got his cell and he didn't call to be rescued, so I expect he's all right.

David and I went out last weekend to do the wedding clothes shopping, which for me meant hunting for fabric because I couldn't find a suitable dress for a Round Hobbit Of a Certain Age. All I need to do now is ... sew. Which will be interesting with the bad knee making it hard to get on the floor to lay out the pattern and also hard to sit at the machine, but my former doctor made sure I had really fine pain pills for just such situations. In David's case the shopping trip meant picking out the first suit he's bought in years and years, and the first *dress shoes* since he went shopping with his father before he left Texas in ... I don't know, the late '80's, early '90's. We're casual, folks. But it all looks great. Now, as I said, all I have to do is sew ...

Two of my tomatoes have been moved outdoors to big pots that I hope will make them happy, and may they live long and produce much fruit! Three more are still to go. It seems like a lot of expense and hassle, but these heirloom tomatoes are $7.99 a pound here and we do prefer them (I do, actually -- David isn't a fan of raw tomatoes) and if even a few tomatoes show up here, fat and edible, we've saved money on them. And we're enjoying watching them grow. :o)

I've just downloaded my old Chad Mitchell Trio albums onto iTunes, listening to them now and remembering being about 13 and a very young rabble-rouser. In my heart. :o)

Knitting, working on Christmas stuff. (Yup, of course!) Reading, currently working my way through some of the Sookie Stackhouse stories.

Still watching 24, now on Season 7, determined to finish. (I have this thing about finishing.) Laughing at how often a character (usually Jack Bauer) says very seriously, "I/we didn't/don't have a choice." Honey, you *always* have a choice. Crazy show, easy to write -- you need a terrorist plot involving the destruction of a major American city, a dozen stock lines of dialogue and a revolving cast of characters which always must include an incredibly evil (usually dark-skinned) arch-enemy, a lot of minions who will be blown to bits soon, a secret organization or two (on both sides), a beautiful woman for Bauer to be devoted to but betray anyhow because -- wait for it -- he doesn't have a choice, and an uber-techy female geek who could run the whole show. Everyone but Bauer is expendable, but some of the dead come back in a season or two so don't get too sad too soon. Jack Bauer is a rogue agent, that's very important. The man needs to laugh once in awhile. He needs to come watch his show with me -- I'll get him laughing.

Kiefer Sutherland has the mouth of a sea turtle, has anyone noticed that? I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just an observation. I always kinda liked his dad, except for that last scene in Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Noah has returned.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

We watched the first 2 seasons of 24. Early on in the 3rd we decided it's just too predictable and ended that relationship. Maybe we'll try it again though. Someday.

Jenna said...

I'm so glad you're blogging again! I know FB is so easy, but I love when my family blogs!

I just got Season 1, disc 1 of 24 to watch after hearing you and others rave about it. I didn't know it was such a commitment (7 season?!) But I got it because I think Dylan will like it and I wanted a show that he and I could get into together.

Have fun with Noah! And can't wait to see the dress!