Sunday, February 11, 2007

Sleeeeeepppppp......

Ah, how I crave it!

I woke up at 5:30 and couldn't go back to sleep because I knew I had to be ready to drive Noah to work at 6:30. When I got home again a little after 7, the neighbors woke up. I think what we've got over there is a father who has custody on weekends and holidays. It first got noisy through the wall of my bedroom around Christmas and I thought that the Older Couple over there ("You know how you can hear everything that happens in our bedroom through that wall? Well, I can hear everything that happens in yours, too," she said to me on the single occasion when we met in the laundry room) had the grandchildren for the holidays. Oh, the squealing and the high-pitched childish laughter and the arguing and the crashing of bodies into the common wall!

As it got nearer New Year's I joked to David, "You know, what I fear is that I'll find out those people moved out and this is a new family moved in and those kids are never going to leave." Ha ha ha.

Which is what it turned out to be, sort of. But I never hear a woman's voice, only a man and one child now, and only on weekends and only when I'm trying to sleep.

So since I couldn't sleep, I decided to see how this iTunes thing works and put one of my cd's on it. Sting was conveniently located. It worked swell. There was one little glitchy moment when I tried taking the laptop back to bed with me (still hopeful!) and discovered that it takes an internet connection for the program to identify the cd correctly, but otherwise things went swimmingly, so I got my other eight Sting cd's and imported them, also.

It was now 9 :00 and seemed a decent hour to make a phone call, so I called my daughter Hannah in AZ who is having a birthday today. Lovely visit.

The neighbors were still frolicking and now "Dad" (for lack of a better name) had his acoustic guitar out and was making up words to some old pop song that my mind has now released into the ethers. I got my 10,000 Maniacs collection and imported all of them, then went right on to Loreena McKennitt.

"Dad" was now singing that it was time to brush our teeth (gods, exactly how much did that woman overhear, anyway?) so I went and brushed mine.

Imported Santana and REM, went to the Apple Store online and bought an iPod so I can take all my newly-techily-situated music with me wherever I go, which is back and forth to work and once every two weeks to the grocery store.

Spoke with my son Micah, who said yes, he would appreciate it if I would drive his 4 yo daughter home to her mother's at 3 (presumably because his car isn't working again) and son Jonah who needs a ride to work at the same time. So there are trips like that, too, and fairly often. I tried to sneak in a nap -- it did not work. Noah asked if he could have a ride home. All in one trip, excellent!

So now I'm importing the Beatles (Abbey Road) and leaving to drive drive drive. Wish I'd ordered the iPod five business days sooner, I'd be all sorts of groovy by now. David's calling tonight (phone date -- we are geeks, yes) and I'll be awake for that. Going to try to snag some sleep between getting home and a late night phone call.

Don't see it happening.

No comments: