Pippin, my beloved Mac laptop, is in for repairs. The side got dinged where the power adapter connects and little by little it's lost its ability to charge its battery. Which means I've had to keep it plugged in all the time and shut it down completely every time I move it from room to room, and since I take it upstairs to work with me every day as well as into the back room to read to me or play music for me on the treadmill, that's a lot of: "Are you sure you want Safari to quit?" "We mean seriously -- are you SURE?" And so forth. And I also needed to shut it down every time I left the house or went to sleep or in any other way left it untended, because if that little cord came loose (and it attaches by magnet, so disconnecting it is real real easy, even a Maine Coon can do it -- and has), down down down goes the power.
So we made Pippin an appointment at the Genius Bar at the Apple Store last Friday after work. (I didn't actually work Friday, as it turned out -- I took a Mental Health Day, but that's another story.) Pippin had a consultation with a Genius named Elliott, who agreed right away that the problem was a damaged shell and decided the most practical (not $700) way to address this was to get one new piece and if I knew the name of it I'd tell you, but swapping the old one for the new one will -- hopefully -- allow the bent part to be eased back into shape. They had to order the part and I was relieved to be able to take Pippin home for the weekend. And watch over its connector.
Today the part arrived, however, and tonight we went back to the Apple Store to drop off the little box that contains more of my life than I ought to admit: all my emails from forever, all my photos, all my audiobooks, music, and even a few tv series and movies. All my writing projects and even the projects of a few friends. The links to all the blogs I visit. All my bookmarks for important things like knitting projects and html color codes.
I LOVE my little laptop. When they took it gently from me at the Apple Store part of me wanted to rush after them and say, "I'll just wait here with it!" Three to five days. But I didn't make a scene. I went quietly back to the car, though my arms felt empty. When we got home I found I didn't know what to do with the rest of the evening, and I started worrying about the familiar things I couldn't see or do for three to five days. Yeah, we backed up everything we could (much on an external hard-drive, but I put the contents of iTunes -- the music, audiobooks, tv shows, and movies) on 16 dvds. I thought the copying would never end.
Seeing me at loose ends, David got out Gabriel's old laptop which he had gotten refurbished. The space bar doesn't want to work real well but otherwise its cute enough. But it's not Pippin.
4 comments:
I think I need a laptop...if for no other reason than to give it a fun name! Seriously though, I think a laptop would be sooo nice! The kids are ALWAYS wanting "their" turn on the computer and I'm always having to butt in to check emails or blogs or ebay, etc. They wouldn't be fooled though. They know just what a laptop is, and that they work just like computers! I've raised geniuses!
Hahaha Mom! You're so cute.
I tried to convince O I need a laptop..but it didn't work. He said "where would you take it?" "uhh..to bed?"..I guess you need a better argument than that. He is, however, getting me a sleek new computer because we've had this one since 2004 and it's chunky and out of date.
I send Pippin a bandaid to help him/her feel better.
Oh, I feel your longing and concern! We had to wipe this hard drive and start over several weeks ago, and I was so concerned that we rescued all my "projects", pictures, songs, ETC first. I was so worried that I would forget or overlook something.
Here's to a speedy recovery and an all-better Pippin! If I ever get a laptop, or another computer for that matter, it will for sure be a Mac.
Post a Comment