
Sir Thomas More, *A Man For All Seasons,* author of "Utopia," beheaded by order of his dear friend Henry VIII for *treason,* which was a pretty broad category for Henry and in this case meant Thomas would not acknowledge Henry as head of the Church. I tracked it back and I'm convinced it's a valid connection and I'm so jazzed by this! I've been obsessively interested in Tudor history (or reinterested -- I was into this period of history as far back as my teens) ever since we saw Henry VIII, reading everything I can find and watching the related films, and now ... this!
There was a suggestion made that Sir Thomas was also my 13th great grandfather on my mother's side but when I went to track that one, there's a place where the leap someone made to tie generations just looks too *off* to me. (Ditto a check on a reported relationship to Jean Jacques Rousseau, which I would have liked to claim. But there are many others to investigate ... and I shall.)
I've done about 20 hours of work on Ancestry.com in the past two days and will very likely do more today. As a result I haven't paid much attention to FB or blogs, to say nothing of the dishes. I haven't even knit anything, which is sort of horrifying with the holidays getting closer, but just let me check this one more generation ...
Oh, and closer to home, a couple of other pictures some of you might like to have:

Edmund Lovell Ellsworth, your third great grandfather on my mother's side (obviously), the family polygamist with four wives (that I know of), one of whom was a daughter of Brigham Young. Edmund led the first handcart company across the plains.
This is the wife from whom you are descended:

Mary Ann *Polly* Jones
I sent you all invitations to my *tree* when I started it awhile back and a few of you accepted. You might want to go prowl through it now and see how it's grown. Oh, and add France to your list of your derivations. And Norway, but our Norwegians are Vikings and I suppose most everyone has them. :o)
2 comments:
Well, Mom, that IS so cool! You and Dad both are so involved in geneology. It's very inspiring. Maybe your tie to Sir Thomas is one of the reasons you've always had this inclination toward all things Tudor. Me too. Maybe it was a "pull" from the other side, so to speak. That's very exciting!
Ooooo! How exciting! Even Orion the History man is all jazzed about this!
I remember when I was a kid and told people I was a little French but when I asked you about it..you'd said no. All this time..I thought I lied. hahaha..cute cute.
Post a Comment