Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Nuthin', Nuthin' ...

Just dropped by to update the On the Needles thingy. Wool everywhere and not a sheep in sight. :o)

No more PT, which is nice. I was told to expect to be trotting over there for months and it ended up being ... (pause to count on fingers) well, something around 3 weeks. Just like magic! My knee is still a bit swollen, sometimes quite swollen, sometimes hardly at all. But I can walk around okay, go up and down stairs (down is harder), get in and out of the car, and ... pack boxes!

Yay, packing boxes, packing boxes! We could actually have a white Christmas this year, if the weather cooperates! We could have Thanksgiving with some family in the house! Pretty sure we'll be spending Halloween here, but that's okay, there's always next year.

Fingers crossed and all that sort of thing for a quick sale of this house, followed by good fortune in finding a Real and Sound and Affordable House in the Denver area, something big enough but not too big. Two or three bedrooms would be plenty (one could be David's office and one could be my playroom/the guest bedroom, which is what we have here). I think two bathrooms would be swell. I'd prefer a great room sort of thing to separate kitchen/dining/living room -- I always used to hate being shut off away in the kitchen while all the fun was happening in the living room. A finished basement to store things in and set up the treadmill would be a plus. A fireplace. A back yard with a tall fence -- not a huge back yard, but enough to let the cats out, have space for a *dog so he doesn't always have to be walked, have a garden. A nice old tree for a birdhouse? Maybe I'm getting carried away. I won't mention a redwood deck with a hammock and a porch swing, or a babbling brook, then.

But yes, the packing continues and will continue to continue for quite awhile. It's kind of disturbing to realize how much stuff you forgot you have (or never knew you had, when combining households like we've done) and haven't used in years but are simply not willing to leave behind. I know perfectly well that the day after I give anything away, something will change and cause me to need it so badly that I'll go out and buy a replacement, so really, isn't it just simpler to put it all in boxes? Yes. (And I'm still grieving stuff that didn't make it onto the truck when we left NJ in 1995, don't get me started. I'm very attached to my 'stuff,' I admit it. I have a flaw. Just that *one.* There.)

At this point, about half the packed boxes are stuff we aren't going to miss at all between now and whenever we get moved into the Real House (David's college textbooks, for instance, or many many small balls of leftover sock yarn) and the rest are packed with stuff that I could not bear to lose or even be unable to get my hands on immediately (all eleven seasons of Frasier and certain beloved casserole dishes), on the theory that The Big One might hit and perhaps all we'll escape with (besides one another and the cats, of course) is whatever is already packed and all set to toss into a truck. Not that we have a truck. And not that I think we could load up and drive away if the ground started rippling and rolling, but I've made it this far by enjoying a Rich Inner Fantasy Life and I see no reason to stop if it's still working.

Carry on.

*Note: have not yet acquired dog. Remains a negotiating point.

6 comments:

Abby said...

Hey ya know..you can always add the hammock and porch swing and even a babbling brook! The rest shouldn't be too hard to find in the Denver area.

What do you miss the most that didn't come out of NJ? The baby things? I know I'm still sad about my dollhouses.

I want to go look at houses with you guys! House hunting is so interesting to me..because I'm a snoop. hahahah <3

Jenna said...

I think you'll find the perfect house for you guys, Mom. With room for visiting children and grandchildren.

I'm very sad about some of the things that got lost in NJ too. I am so sentimental, like you.

Yay for packing boxes, and I'm so glad I at least got to visit you in SF for a second before you move!

YogaNana said...

What do I miss most? The rocking chair, the cradle ... the baby clothes, yes -- especially the little white outfits you kids were blessed in, the little red teddy bear sweater I knit for Hannah and Amanda's blue and yellow duck sweater. (I tell myself that the knit things would be full of holes by now anyhow.) The wedding-ring quilt my grandmother made. Your doll house, yes, I've always been sad about that, and about other toys that didn't make it. The second set of pine bunk beds would have been helpful there for awhile. I lost a lot of books that I would have preferred not to have lost. I've replaced some of them through used books services but there was one on filet crochet that I loved and can't find anywhere. Even the wheat grinder and the pressure cooker and the pressure canner would have been nice to have had all this time. I told you I get attached to my stuff! Had I known to start with that the truck was way too small (and we couldn't get a larger one) I would have had it packed very differently. See? You got me started.

We'd love for you to help us house-hunt, but if all goes well, you'll be too pregnant to fly at that point. Fingers crossed and so forth.

YogaNana said...

There will definitely need to be room for company!

Hannah said...

Mom you make me giggle. You're so cute. I hope you find the perfect house big enough for lots of visitors. I'm still working on Mike to move there someday.

YogaNana said...

Hannah, don't give up! We would all LOVE to have you guys up there, and just think how much the kids would enjoy having Nana knit them warm things for winter!

All these grandkids and Micah's are the only ones who need mittens and hats! Or even sweaters!