Friday, July 23, 2010

Physical Therapy

So we got up way too early this morning and went to my first Physical Therapy appointment and it was NOT an Unspeakable Horror, as I had heard it would be.

Didn't really hurt at all, actually. I was afraid the remaining swelling was a bad indication, but the therapist (Ann, her name was, and a tiny little thing she is, perhaps in her late 40s) said it's actually not bad at all for 3 weeks post-op. She gave me some exercises to do at home and had me ride a stationary bike for 5 minutes, and said come back twice next week and then once a week for awhile.

Basically, the rules are:

1. If it hurts, don't do it.

2. It the swelling gets bad, ice it.

She said I should plan on icing it now and then for several weeks or even months yet.

I'm supposed to come over there every day (except weekends, when they're closed) and hop on the bike for 5-7 minutes and she even said I can drive myself to the sessions, which is a relief to David who has been taking off work to get me to various appointments. Ahhhh!!! As Abby would say. :o) But no driving on Vicodin or Percocet. Well, no, of course not! Silly lady!

Overall Ann said I'm doing remarkably well, much better than she would expect. She also said our two up-coming trips next month (to David's family reunion in Texas and then to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival) should be no problem and I will probably find I'm much improved from today by the time we go to Oregon.

Ohboyohboyohboy!!!

Now my biggest immediate concern is running out of Charlaine Harris books



(for instance)
before my stash of Laurie R. King's mysteries gets here.



And so forth. Oh, my nerves, is this woman good!

But in the meantime, there is much needful knitting to do. :o)

3 comments:

Hannah said...

Man, knee surgery is a big deal!! I don't think I ever truly understood that. I'm glad it's all going well.

I want to read those Sookie Stackhouse books so badly but I just know Mike will make fun of me for it.

Jenna said...

I'm so glad you're doing so well! That is awesome! You make me add so many books to my eternal to-read list. I know, I know, someday I will have the time.

YogaNana said...

Hannah -- read them anyway. What the heck!

Jenna -- you've seen the house. That's my to-read list. :o)