Saturday, March 17, 2007

Ooh! Ooh! Pick Me! Pick Me!

I did one of these about a year ago on LiveJournal (why do I not like LIveJournal? I don't know -- I just don't) but this is a better list of books. Which trranslates as "I've read more of them." It's also a more well-rounded list, I think.

Anyhow, I got it from my daughter Jenna's blog, and while I'm not a fan (at all) of memes in general, I do think this one has Redeeming Social Value, even if it omits such wonderful books as The Joy-Luck Club (Amy Tan), The Shining (Stephen King), the scariest book in print; practically everything ever written by Anne Rice (Interview With the Vampire is only the tip of her iceberg); Clive Barker entirely, Neil Gaiman the same, Ursula K. LeGuin's Wizard of Earthsea series, and Huckleberry Finn. To say nothing of my all-time favorite, The Once and Future King (T.H. White), and my current favorite, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell (Susanna Clarke).

Oh well, no book list is perfect.

So without further editorializing, here we go.

"Here’s what you do:
* Bold the ones you’ve read.
* Italicize the ones you want to read.
* Leave in normal text the ones that don't interest you.
* Put in ALL CAPS those you haven’t heard of.
* Put a couple of asterisks by the ones you recommend."

Actually, I might recommend most of them. The ones I don't recommend are:

The Notebook
Anything by Danielle Steele (oh, wait -- she's not on the list! Take that, shallow rich formualic writer!)

Okay, I spent an hour getting all the html tags in there and they don't show -- at least, they don't show on a Mac even though I used Firefox. So I'll go back through the list and put B for Bold and I for Italics.

Sigh.

1.BBB The DaVinci Code (Dan Brown)
2. BBB Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
3. BBB To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
4. BBB Gone With The Wind (Margaret Mitchell)**
5. BBB The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Tolkien)**
6. BBB The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (Tolkien)**
7. BBB The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers (Tolkien)**
8. Anne of Green Gables (L.M. Montgomery)
9. BBB Outlander (Diana Gabaldon)
10. A FINE BALANCE (Rohinton Mistry)
11. BBB Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Rowling)**
12. III Angels and Demons (Dan Brown)
13. BBB Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Rowling)**
14. BBB A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving)**
15. III Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden)
16. BBB Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (Rowling)**
17. Fall on Your Knees (Ann-Marie MacDonald)
18. BBB The Stand (Stephen King)**
19. BBB Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Rowling)**
20. BBB Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)**
21. BBB The Hobbit (Tolkien)**
22.BBB The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger)
23. BBB Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)
24. III The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold)
25. Life of Pi (Yann Martel) (Tried to read it, was bored)
26. BBB The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)
27. BBB Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)**
28. BBB The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (C. S. Lewis)
29. East of Eden (John Steinbeck)
30. BBB Tuesdays with Morrie (Mitch Albom)**
31. Dune (Frank Herbert)
32. The Notebook (Nicholas Sparks) what's the symbol for "I didn't read beyond the first chapter because I liked the movie a whole lot better"?
33. Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand) My roommate in college was crazy about it but it wasn't communicalble
34. BBB 1984 (Orwell)
35. BBB The Mists of Avalon (Marion Zimmer Bradley) Needed a merciless editor
36. BBBThe Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett)**
37. III The Power of One (Bryce Courtenay)
38. III I Know This Much is True (Wally Lamb)
39. III The Red Tent (Anita Diamant)
40. BBB The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho)**
41. BBB The Clan of the Cave Bear (Jean M. Auel)
42. III The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)
43. CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC (Sophie Kinsella)
44. III The Five People You Meet In Heaven (Mitch Albom)
45. BBB The Bible
46. BBB Anna Karenina (Tolstoy)**
47. The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas)
48. BBB Angela’s Ashes (Frank McCourt)**
49. BBB The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)
50. She's Come Undone (Wally Lamb)
51. BBB The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver)**
52. BBB A Tale of Two Cities (Dickens)
53. III Ender’s Game (Orson Scott Card)
54. BBB Great Expectations (Dickens)
55. The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald)
56. THE STONE ANGEL (Margaret Laurence)
57. BBB Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Rowling)**
58. BBB The Thorn Birds (Colleen McCullough)
59. BBB The Handmaid's Tale (Margaret Atwood)
60. III The Time Traveller’s Wife (Audrey Niffenegger)
61. Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoyevsky)
62. The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand)
63. BBB War and Peace (Tolstoy)
64. BBB Interview With The Vampire (Anne Rice)
65. FIFTH BUSINESS (Robertson Davies)
66. BBB One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)**
67. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Ann Brashares)
68. Catch-22 (Joseph Heller)
69. III Les Miserables (Victor Hugo)
70. BBB The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)
71. Bridget Jones’s Diary (Helen Fielding)
72. BBB Love in the Time of Cholera (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
73. Shogun (James Clavell)
74. III The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje)
75. III The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgson)
76. THE SUMMER TREE (Guy Gavriel Kay)
77. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith)
78. The World According to Garp (John Irving)
79. THE DIVINERS (Margaret Laurence)
80. BBB Charlotte’s Web (E.B. White)
81. NOT WANTED ON THE VOYAGE (Timothy Findley)
82. Of Mice And Men (Steinbeck)
83. BBB Rebecca (Daphne DuMaurier)
84. WIZARD'S FIRST RULE (Terry Goodkind)
85. BBB Emma (Jane Austen)
86. BBB Watership Down (Richard Adams)
87. Brave New World (Aldous Huxley)
88. THE STONE DIARIES (Carol Shields)
89. BLINDNESS (Jose Saramago)
90. KANE AND ABEL (Jeffrey Archer)
91. IN THE SKIN OF A LION (Michael Ondaatje)
92. BBB Lord of the Flies (William Golding)
93. BBB The Good Earth (Pearl S. Buck)
94. BBB The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd)
95. BBB The Bourne Identity (Robert Ludlum)
96. THE OUTSIDERS (S.E. Hinton)
97. III White Oleander (Janet Fitch)
98. A Woman of Substance (Barbara Taylor Bradford)
99. BBB The Celestine Prophecy (James Redfield)
100. III Ulysses (James Joyce)

3 comments:

Jenna said...

Mom, stop lurking at my blog and leave comments! I had a feeling you'd like this one. I have to defend The Notebook. The movie WAS good, one of my favorites, but I love all Nicholas Sparks' books. And how did you NOT read Anne of Green Gables??? I still have the hardback book of three of the Anne books that YOU bought for me when I was in junior high. That one was shocking to me. Looks like you're having a ball reading though, which is great. Oh, and you also bought me The Red Tent a few years ago. I AM going to read it one of these days!

YogaNana said...

I guess I didn't read Anne because ... I'm not sure, I was just never drawn to it. I've got some random paperback copies of it that I just packed, maybe I'll have a look when things settle down.

I remember buying The Red Tent for you. Got a copy for myself and I haven't read it yet, either -- but I shall!

YogaNana said...

Well, that's what people keep saying -- maybe I should read it.

And I know who you are. We met up in Vail, I think, when you were there with your family several years ago.

Hm, wonder if you'll ever see this reply?