Friday, July 27, 2007

Cheesecake

Hmmm.

I'm doing really quite well at managing my diabetes and it's not been an awful stress so far. But then, one of my team at work brought in homemade strawberry shortcake and homemade cheesecake and passed them around during our team meeting (rather endearingly termed a 'huddle'). I said no thank you, no hesitation with that, but for the first time since those few moments right after my diagnosis was confirmed ... I felt sorry for myself.

I guess this will happen once in awhile.

I guess that's okay. Once I get my numbers down reliably where they're supposed to be, I shall occasionally have a piece of cheesecake or a brownie or a scoop of Ben & Jerry's, and maybe an extra hit of chromium as a chaser. That's going to be good enough. Right now I have a bar of most seriously dark chocolate in my nightstand. Once in awhile I eat a small small square of it with a mouthful of almonds or walnuts (which have the added benefit of taking a long time to chew) and I'm content.

But that cheesecake sure looked yummy. Damn it.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

Talk about heartbreaking! But good for you, Mom. I'm proud of you.

Annette Lyon said...

At least you've got that dark chocolate. A woman can survive just about anything as long as she gets a square or two of good chocolate periodically.

But oh, that cheesecake would have been tempting.