That was the time we got into such snow on the way back, right after we crossed from New Mexico, that I refused to go on driving, out of sheer terror (mountain roads, middle of the night) and Julia had to take the wheel again. She was very patient. :o) I think these socks are 8 years old, or thereabouts, and what I learned on that project was don't begin your knitting of socks with something really folksy and interesting and really hard, and do not throw wool into the dryer. They're too snug to wear now and I only keep them for Old Time's Sake.
The Old Dog's New Trick turned out like this:
On this project I finally learned that those dizzyingly breath-taking hand-painted skeins of (expensive) yarn are really best left all wound up the way you bought them and admired from time to time, because no matter how wonderful the colors are in a twisted hank, when you unwind them and knit something, the colors puddle in heartbreaking globs. In this case, I got a colorway called rainbow and it was the most wonderful array of crayola-bright colors and I was hoping for something that did in some way resemble rainbows on my feet. Alas, the red and purple kept finding each other and snubbing the yellow and green and even the very-perky blue, and I ended up with what looks like port wine birthmarks splahed around on both feet.
So now I REALLY want rainbow stripes and I'm just cranky enough to go looking for individual solid colors that suit me and making my own stripes. Watch this space. As they say.
But with the Rainbow Disaster, I did finish that Two Socks on Two Circs assignment that I gave to myself, since everyone else can do it. It was kind of a pain. Someday I may do it again.
Most recently, I've finished the Pirate Socks. Kinda fun. How many kids have grandmothers who wear Pirate Socks, I ask you?
Once again, however: color puddles. Here's the original and I used the same yarn she used.
http://katydidknits.blogspot.com/2006/06/jack-sparrows-favorite-socks.html
Why do hers look like stripes and mine look like inkblots? Growl!!!!!!
But I do like the Jolly Rogers on the cuffs.
5 comments:
The pirate socks kick some serious butt Mom!! I love them!!!
These are so cool! You knitted me a pair of socks that are the opposite colors of those first ones...mine are blue with the ivory pattern. I still wear them and they are my warmest socks, besides the other pair you knitted. I think the color variation is nice in the rainbow socks, but I understand if you had something else in mind and then didn't get it, how that would be disappointing. You're cute, Mom.
I love the pirate socks! Super cute!
hey momma- i have a blog now too!!! i always have so much on my mind and this will be good for me to let it out. It's micahjeremy.blogspot.com
Mari,
There are all kinds of tricks to get the yarn to stripe instead of pool. Sometimes your gauge and needle size can make all the difference too. You can buy certain sock yarns that will pattern too instead of stripe. Do some looking on google. Knitting socks in a huge shared obsession out there in the knitting world. I haven't knit many pairs of socks yet though.
Post a Comment