Listen to a few seconds of the first ten songs with your eyes closed. Where do they take you?
*****note: the songs on my iPod are almost all pretty old, soundtrack of my life stuff*****
1. "Take Good Care of My Baby" -- Bobby Vee (wow, about 1961?) -- 6th or 7th grade. I'm watching one of my friends, Vicki DeSpain, fast-dancing with any one of my other girlfriends. This was right around the end of the time when you danced a sort of jitterbug/bop holding your partner's hand. She was good - and she never wanted to dance with *me.* Probably why I never learned to dance. Thanks, Vicki! But I still love the song.
2. "The Rain King" -- Counting Crows (acoustic version, slow) -- everything by Counting Crows makes me think of my son Micah because he likes them so much, but when I hear this one I'm driving to work at the QCII Building in Denver, playing it loud and trying to figure out how to *sign* the lyrics. Yup.
3. "Get Over It" -- The Eagles -- It's about 1994 and it's late on a Saturday night and I've gone with my son Ethan (he was not a driver) to the music store down by the mall. They had headphones for listening to songs without buying the cd and I heard this one for the first time while he was browsing in another section. That memory stuck. A good one. :o)
4. "Wear Your Love Like Heaven" -- Donovan -- I'm in my first semester at BYU (1968), in the bookstore with a shopping list for my watercolor class, noticing how many of the colors that I'm buying are in the lyrics and feeling good, on the brink of something new.
5. "Atlantis" -- Donovan again -- I'm in Provo, second year, moved out of the dorms and into an apartment for the first time. My cousin Cheryl Kartchner lives downstairs from me -- we haven't seen each other since we were five, but there she is. She has her mom's old turquoise Thunderbird and we're driving in the canyon at night, too fast, windows down, singing along. Happy happy.
6. "I Want It That Way" -- The Backstreet Boys (no apologies) -- Around 1998, late at night in the Fry's on University near Alma School in Mesa, with daughters Abby and Hannah. This song is playing and in the deserted aisle Hannah goes into full performance mode, signing the lyrics as she sings them. One of my favorite memories!
7. "Build Me Up Buttercup" -- The Foundations -- Half the quad area at the apartments where I lived in Provo was a swimming pool (girls' end of the building) and the other half (boys' end) was grass. It's night, it's spring, we're having a dance on the grass, playing records, all 200 or so of us who lived there. I'm dancing with one of my boy-buddies, can't remember which one. I'd like to think it was Stan Webb but I think it wasn't. :o)
8. "Let's Hang On" -- The Four Seasons -- It's the mid 60's and I'm on the schoolbus on the way home. It's hot but it's Mesa, it's always hot and we didn't notice it so much then. Or maybe it's worse now. Anyway, we're just south of the Country Club and Patrick Lynch just got off the bus. Patrick Lynch is at least half Hawaiian and gorgeous and does not know my name. Not something I shed tears over, but unfortunate all the same. Nice that the bus driver plays KRUX for us.
9. "That Was Then, This is Now" -- The Monkees (attempted revivial) -- the whole family is piled in one of the large vehicles it took to pile us all into and we're driving home from the Jersey Shore, aka the beach. Josiah is singing soulfully along, he's about 9 or 10, and I'm thinking that the girl who gets him is going to be lucky because he's got such a sweet heart.
10. "Sloop John B" -- The Beach Boys -- It's spring of 1967, we're heading toward graduation, and my best friend Sam (Sue Hill) and I have decided it would be cool to walk the three miles to school instead of taking the bus. I've got a heavy transistor radio stacked on top of the notebook and textbooks in my arms and the Beach Boys are singing this song and I am feeling very very good.
Now ... you play.
4 comments:
Wow Mom! If I had an iPod, I'd play but don't think I'd get nearly as deatiled memories as you did.
Hey I made your list!! I remember that night. That was fun. I'm a singer at heart, just not a good one. One of my friends on facebook sent me a flair that said "Be careful what you say. You might remind me of a song that needs to be sung." Hehehe. Yup, that's me.
I'd play along, but I need to build up my music collection again.. so much of what I have now is fairly recent, and alot of it stuff that I got because I was curious about the band, so there's not much sentimetality to it.
Okay, I'll wait ... :o)
This looks like fun, but again, I have no iPod. Great memories though!
Post a Comment