Saturday, September 15, 2007

There Was a Little House in the Middle of the Wood

Bet none of you know that song. It's about a little old man and a hunter and a rabbit.

It turns out well. :o)

In her blog Abby asked a question about what we do in our heads to help us fall asleep, and I was not able to illustrate my reply there, so here's the whole thing. Well, you know, depending on how much caffeine I had that evening.

***************************************

Somehow I could never get sleepy counting sheep when I was young, and now I think it would just make me want to get up and knit.

Instead I imagine, in the midst of a lot of unspecified trouble elsewhere in the world, David and I creating a snuggly house in the woods, a place built of earth (rather like a hobbit house, actually). Ah, here's one much like mine, except this one is in Wales and mine is probably in the mountains in Colorado.



(Here's more. People actually live here. Is this too wonderful for words, or what?)





So, it's something like that. Simple on the outside but (just like magic!) spacious on the inside.

It has two stories, with the bedrooms upstairs (ours and a guest room), both with skylights and a spectacular view of the stars, including the sweep of the Milky Way. On the main floor there's a big kitchen and a Great Room (as opposed to a great room -- hey, they're all great rooms), a library, a greenhouse on the back and a glassed-in place for the cats to go outside *without* going outside where the mountain lions and owls could get them. There's a chicken house, also secure from predators (sometimes it's on the roof, within a dome). Some of our chickens look like this:







I haven't exactly figured out how to protect them yet but there will have to be some of these even if they have to stay in the guest room:







We stock the cottage well, books and food and music and movies and games -- and yarn -- and then my kids and their families come one by one and build their own places around it, and then some of my dearest friends come, also. Depending on how bad the insomnia is that night we may develop a whole little hidden community in the woods.

Oh, and at some point I raid the Denver Dumb Friends League for more cats and a few hairy dogs. I just know I'll find some like these:









Et cetera.

Well, hey, it's *my* fantasy. So maybe one of these to guard the sheep when they go out to get a little fresh air and sunshine:

6 comments:

Abby said...

That's all so *you*, mom. I can totally see you in one of those earthy dome homes. I almost even want one. awwww mom has little fantasies of all of her babies being around her again. Awwwww. Can my dome be more updated with nice appliances? I love the rest of it though!

YogaNana said...

Did I say I wouldn't have nice appliances? :o)

And of course your little dome is your fantasy and it can have whatever you like.

Hannah said...

Yep, I totally pictured everything correctly when you wrote that in Abby's blog Mom. It is totally you right down to the all of the animals with tons of hair. It's just "Mom"

Jenna said...

I was going to say the same thing. It's so YOU. Whenever I see any of these things I think of Mom. And the cottage looks so cozy! I hope all your dreams come true some day, dear mommy.

Jaz who Doodles and Daydreams said...

And the llama shall be named Dolly? Or Pajama? And I shall live nearby, too, in my cob house and on cold winter days, we'll sit on my porch and drink mochas and chat while my llama plays with your llama.

YogaNana said...

Hey, there!

Dolly Llama, of course! Yup, you're one of the "dearest friends' who joins us.