Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Check In!

I spent yesterday moring at the doctor's, mostly in the waiting room. He walks to work so he can't very well say he got hung up in traffic, but whatever, he was 45 minutes late and did not sneak in through some secret back door, so we all knew it. At least one patient got mad and left him a note and walked out, but I overheard the receptionist telling people on the phone that the earliest appointment currently available was one (1) on October 2, so I sat.

But it was all so worth it! My cholesterol is in the 'good' range for the first time in my adult life (maybe my entire life, who knows?). My bad cholesterol is way down, well within 'acceptable,' and my triglycerides are also very good. Radically different numbers from my last blood draw in June. My good cholesterol needs to come up some still and of course the doctor said that the best way to do that is to increase my exercise. I know, I know, damn it, but in what block of free time? And here on the hills? (Actually since he also lives up here on the hills and enjoys his walks to and from work every day, I get little sympathy.) But did I ever mention that I love my doctor? He's a saint. A Jewish saint. He has THE most sincere eyes and he seems to know just about everything and furthermore, when I asked if he was going to oppose me if I used Chromium as part of my therapy, he asked if I'd like to see his literature on it. (Yay!!! The hippie dippie doctor!) My fasting blood glucose, which was 367 at diagnosis, now averages around 170. (We want 130, tops.) There's a measure they take called the A1c - ideally it's going to be 6.5% or under. When I was diagnosed offically in June mine was 10.5%. It's now 7.5%. He was thrilled by that, says he has NEVER seen anyone drop three points in three months.

Oh, and I've lost 26.5 pounds since I arrived here.

Huzzah!

Well, you know, I'm still Vastly Obese, but less so. Anyhow, we're upping my Metformin to see if we can't quickly now get my numbers all the way down into a comfort zone and keep them there. Hopefully as I continue to lose weight (yeah, yeah, and exercise) we'll be able to reduce that drug again and maintain mainly on diet, exercise, and herbs for quite awhile yet.

4 comments:

Abby said...

*does the good health dance for mom* horray!!! I'm so glad to hear you're making all kinds of progress!!!

Jenna said...

That is incredible, Mom! I wanna know my numbers! I LOVE tracking numbers! I'm really proud of you for making the changes you needed to, and the exercise will come. We need you to stay around forever, so whatever you can do to make that happen would be great! Amazing how resilient our bodies are when treated well, huh? Simply amazing!

Sarah said...

Awesome! You know, my mom found out she was diabetic within about a week or 2 of when you did. Or atleast within 2 weeks of the time you had posted that you had it. My dad was diagnosed diabetic back in the 80's. I'm sure I'm destined to have it, and it looks like there's no hope for my kids! I guess the best thing to do starting now, knowing what we do, is to take the best care of our bodies that we can.

YogaNana said...

There's LOTS of hope for you and your kids, Sarah, and you're on the right track now with the changes you're making in how you eat. And get really serious about activity, too, for all of you.

I used to walk several miles a day but I quit when I moved to Arizona and it was just so so SO hot. If I'd continued and had kept my wieght down, this might not have happened.

Bummer, but there it is.