Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Not Really About Work

Yesterday I talked with this guy:

http://www.paloaltodailynews.com/article/padn/2008-5-12-pa-reinold

Today I talked with a man who called to disconnect service, saying *there has been a death." Didn't want to pry. As I was doing the disconnect, he said, "Where are you?" I said, "San Francisco." He said, "You sound like back East. I'm from Pennsylvania."

So I told him about the 16 years in South Jersey, and we talked a bit about Pennsylvania.

He said, "Do you want to know about this death?"

I said yes, I'd like to hear about it.

"It's my son," he said. "He's not really dead yet but it will be any second... My stepson, really.. I'm doing the chores today so his mother, my wife, could be alone at the hospital with him. He had a massive stroke, and he's not recovering at all... He would hate staying, it's like being a vegetable. We told them to let him go... He's only 47."

***************

Last call of the day was a woman about my age up in a small town in Sonoma County who can't pay her bill. She told me she's going through divorce after a long marriage and she's struggling. I told her I've been there, told her it does get better. She asked about my family and I asked about hers. I told her we'd just been to a reunion of nearly the whole scattered clan and it had been very good, very healing. She said she would pray for us and I said I would pray for them.

****************

It's not always fighting about money and how well the internet is or is not working.

1 comment:

Jenna said...

Now that was a great human interest post, Mom. Way to 'reach out and touch someone'.