Sunday, November 2, 2008

Maybe a Check-In

On the plus side, it's been raining for three days and ya gotta love that. At least, *I* do.

On the flip side ... I dunno, I'm not feeling real perky. It seems I'm hearing from friends a lot less than I had gotten used to, and -- and here's a flash for those of you who have kids, especially those of you who have *several* kids: they don't ever stop being your kids. I take on the worries and moods of every doggone one of them, but there's a lot less I can do to fix it when it needs more than a cookie and a teddy bear. (And even though I know it's important for them to learn to deal with their own problems and slay their own dragons and kill their own snakes and all that sort of thing, I'm a MOM and I still want everybody to be happy, dammit.)

Oh, and then there's The Job. Which I dislike in an extreme sort of fashion, and I'll be honest, it isn't just this particular company and its particularly draconian customs. It would be any large company and any set of draconian customs. It isn't that I don't want to *work,* it's that I don't want to work for some big entity like this. I hate being told what to do with every microsecond of my day. I hate being told to do things that run contrary to my nature, such as forcing products I personally don't believe in down the throats of my customers, especially in a bad economy. (Often I've thought that working for a big entity like Barnes & Noble might be fun, but people who do work there say I'm dreaming.) Yeah, I get to work from home, which is convenient in the extreme, and I get to work surrounded by my baskets of yarn and my laptop and my cats and even keep a tv on over in the corner (although I keep it only on CNN because I can't watch anything with a storyline -- the phone keeps ringing!)

But they run numbers on us non-stop. Not only do we have to spend x-number of minutes per day either talking with a sub(scriber) or being clearly available to talk with a sub, there are also measures of the acceptable average length of those calls, to say nothing of the quality of those calls and what products we *offered* and how engagingly we offered them, as well how many of the people we speak with on a given day find it necessary to call back within 24 hours (not good!). And mostly and most frustratingly, how many Units do we sell?

Please note: I do not like Sales. When I transfered here from the same company in Denver, where I was reasonably happy (not delighted, but reasonably happy) doing tech support for the internet, I discovered that the only option in California was to be in the Billing Dept, which I did not want to do because I assumed (and rightly, as it turned out :o) ) there would be numbers involved, and I simply do not grok numbers and I do not want to argue about numbers. But the choice would be to take this transfer or start hitting the streets of San Francisco looking for I-Have-No-Idea-What-Sort-of-Job, and I already knew people there who had been looking for literally YEARS. So I asked the HR person who was conducting my phone interview if there was any selling involved in this post, and SHE SAID NO. Her name was Heidi, of all the tricksy things, and she flat out bold-faced told me no. "Oh," she said, "there may be a little 'soft sales,' like if you're taking a video payment and they say they'd like to add internet, then you can enter that order and make a little commission." I swear to all the gods that's what the woman said. And apparently she said it to everyone, because they waited until the last three days of our three-week training to roll in Anthony, the Quick-Talking Greasy Used Car Salesman, to give us our Sales Training, and everyone in the class said, "They told us there wasn't going to be any sales!" And our teacher said, "Well, there is."

So obviously my biggest single grief is the expectation that I will sell x number of video units, x number of internet units and x number of cable phone units.

I hate this.

And I'm not measuring up and I don't even WANT to measure up, really, and I'm being written up all the time because they seem to think I need reminding that while my cover is happy helpful (if somewhat bumbling) billing agent, my *real* identity is Sales Beast.

Aside from that, I've gotten a written Counseling just this past week for taking a sick day. Yes, I have the time in my 'bank' to cover me for a sick day -- several of them, in fact -- but the thing is, see, I took this one 'unscheduled.' Isn't that just the way with sickness, how it sneaks up on you and doesn't give you two weeks' advance notice so you can clear it with your draconian employer first? And why did I find it needful to take that sick day? It was a Monday. I had tossed all of Sunday night, stressing about having to go back to work and face the numbers, and the more you tell yourself you have plenty of hours left to get enough sleep to make it through the day, the more you hear the clocks. I finally fell asleep (sleeping pill, twice) around 5:30. Woke at 7:30 just long enough to make the two required bleary-eyed clumsy-fingered incoherent-of-speech phone calls to let them know (two hours before my shift, as required, dammit) that I wasn't going to be working that day. Dropped back into the pillows and woke a little after noon. Felt very guilty but managed to have a nice productive non-corporate day. Now I've got yet more negative paperwork in my file.

David and I have been working our way through the Director's Cut of Lord of the Rings, watching all the Appendices and everything. I hear the writers and the woman who designed the costumes and even to an extent the artists, and I TOTALLY get what they're saying and why they're making the decisions they're making as they put this masterpiece together, and I keep doing that little Dane Cook thing, thumping myself rapidly on the chest with the flat of my hand and wondering, "Why not me?" Yes, I see they're working really really hard, but I also see that they're doing things they love and understand and are good at, and they have a huge sense of pride in their contributions.

Why not me? I could have done any of those things if I had focused a long time ago, if I had actually taken relevant classes and actually applied myself, if I had somewhere acquired the self-confidence to believe that the ultimate measure of my own life's success and happiness was not simply coming away from college with my M.R.S. degree. Yes, I wanted kids, lots of kids, and I wouldn't trade them for anything, but how I wish I had at least finished school in some meaningful way (I dropped out in my final Senior semester, feeling that school was of piffling importance compared to getting married and settling into being a wife and mother, and I would never need any of that stuff, anyhow). I wish I had kept my hand in somehow. I wish I had kept writing, and writing imaginatively. My nerves, Danielle Steele had like nine kids ... not that I think a lot of Danielle Steele's work, but still, she did some. :o)

Yesterday they made us come into the call center for a mandatory meeting. I try to be perky about those -- after all, I get to listen to a book on my iPod while I drive and I get to hit Subway for a tuna on whole wheat for lunch. It's a pill otherwise, of course, but there are those two bright spots. Yesterday they kept us in a 2 hour meeting, the gist of which was: We Ain't Playin' Wi' You People Anymore. Yes, once again they're tightening the thumb screws. And to emphasize how much they aren't playing, we have to come back each of the next two Fridays. At least.

Now, I had suffered some insomnia again the night before, fell asleep a little after midnight, woke up at 3:45 and couldn't go back to sleep, so I was wobbling pretty seriously, in spite of the 5 shot latte. At the end of the Mandatory Meeting I mentioned to my supervisor that I wasn't doing real well as I only got 3 1/2 hours sleep. She smiled sweetly and said she had gotten 4. My last supe in Denver would have said, "You've got paid time available, don't ya? Go the hell home!" I loved Bruce. He was a redneck gun-toter, but he knew which side was up. Of course, I did hear that he was fired recently for having 'a poor attitude.'

But I haven't been fired yet. It's on the horizon; it hasn't happened yet. Every day that I come downstairs at 6:30. I think, "Well, they're still paying me. Got over on 'em again!" Wondering how long this will last?

8 comments:

Abby said...

Just think..if you can get through this for just a few more years..you won't need to work ever again!

Sometimes I wish I could get fired from my job. When I've had a hard night and the kids are screaming "hello??!!" from their rooms at 6:15 in the morning I wish someone would just walk in and say "Abby..you're fired" then I could go back to sleep and beg for my job back later or something. Ya know...when guilt sets in.

Abby said...

Hey also.. I love this site and am not sure if you've heard of it: Etsy.com? I always think about how if you didn't have a clock in kind of job you could totally do something you ENJOY doing and sell them on Etsy to people like me who are not skilled with needles and clay and pencils and sewing machines and...

On and on, woman! You gifted gifted soul, you!

Jenna said...

Oh, Mom. I was away from the internet all weekend, so I'm just reading this now. This is dreadful. I think I know exactly how you feel. (or pretty close) I can remember having those days, especially towards the end of my single years when I was doing MK when I just couldn't make myself do it anymore. I just didn't want to talk somebody into spending thousands of dollars so that I could feed my kids anymore. And yet, I was stuck. It is a horrible feeling. I still sort of struggle with that, with an often rocky marriage and no job skills to fall back on. That has prompted my back to school adventure. And I know it's the right thing for me.

I would so, so love for you to be fulfilled by your work and your life. There must be a way. You definitely should be writing. You love it so, and are so good at it. But obviously you can't do that full-time if you've got to bring in money.

Is there something you'd like to go back to school for or get training for? I'm finding that there are many options available for financial aid, to not only pay for school, but to help with living expenses. Even if you only worked in a new job for 5 years, if they were joyful years that would be good, right? And if you were writing on the side and could start publishing stories?

Oh, Mom, my heart breaks for you. I know this hopeless feeling. You have so many talents, and there has to be a better way for you.

I love you.

Unknown said...

Momma dearest, I love you so very very much. And though I have this picture in my head of you being an unstoppable force of competence and love, I understand that the reality is this: You are "human". Just like the rest of us. I don't want to believe it, but it is true. I struggle DAILY. My mind races with numbers and lately I have been unable to enjoy my children or my wife. My job used to be fun, but now it is so miserable to me. Pretending to be happy that I just got a $2 tip from someone after taking care of their family for an hour is humbling. Having to ask you or David for financial help is saddening and I have cried from your generosity. I just wish we could all be happy, but above all, I want you to be happy. You are the strongest, most caring, SUPERWOMAN I have ever and will ever meet. You have my support and the support of all of your children I'm sure. You are also blessed with an equally great man who I believe will make you happy for the rest of your life. Maybe you should meditate and find your answer. If you have to quit or be fired to be truly happy, then do it. You deserve nothing but the best and that's what I want for you. Please be happy Mom. You are the strength in this family and I hate to hear even the slight sound of defeat. I love you Momma. You are my hero.

Sarah said...

That sounds like a nightmare!

I agree w/Abby. Check out that site. With all your talents you could probably make some good money selling stuff there.

Hope you get some good and (from the sounds of it) much needed sleep!

Josiah said...

I wish I knew what to tell you, mom. I have the same feelings of dread every Sunday knowing that I have to return to work the following morning. And just when I think I may have found an opportunity to improve my situation and job satisfaction level, I think I'm tied up in some B.S. where the people above me are throwing a fit about the other group wanting to offer me the job.... but I digress.

Are there opportunities to advance into something you might like doing at that company? If not, are you currently looking for other work? It seems to me that if you hate what you are doing, and there's no way to change that within the company you work for, then you are doing yourself a disservice if you are not at least looking for other work that may be more suitable for you. (Hello, Mr. Kettle? Mr. Pot would like to see you in his office. It's about your color...)

YogaNana said...

Thanks for the love, guys. :o) Couple of random replies:

I do know about etsy.com because I've bought a few little things there and I've thought I might like to do some of that, but I'd have to do an awful lot of it to make enough money to matter. Not sure even what to offer, but definitely something to think about.

Josiah, I thought about your situation when I was writing the entry. I know you feel just about the same way about your job and I really do hope you'll find something that works better for you. After all, you're not just a couple of years from retirement.

Hannah said...

Oh Mama!! I'm sorry you're having a rough time! We had no phone service for the past few days so I couldn't get online and I come back to this?

I agree with Micah. To all of us who have seen you go through tougher things then I could ever imagine going through, you are Super Woman.

I love you Mom! I think about you every single day and hope I'm doing half as good of a job at being a Mom as you did.

Oh yeah, we are finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel in our finances. Things are looking better. Thank you so much for helping us out!