Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Not Exactly a Sports Injury

But kind of like Tennis Elbow, surely. I have Knitter's Elbow. :o) And it's not going to stop me, either. Unrelenting queue at work may slow the needles down, yes, but pain -- never!

In semi-related news, I was released from that -- whatever that was, that mandated showing up and working from the call center in Concord two days a week thing, on Thursday of last week. *That* cheered me up, I can tell you. Don't know quite how to account for it, but last month I turned up at the top of my team, statistically. Of course, there are only four of us left, and two of the others are also on Disciplinary or whatever they call it, so that part was going to be a toss-up. But the third other member, the one who usually does so prissily well, had a very bad month and I slipped on up past her. Doesn't mean I'll stay there, but it was enough to get me sent back home so it's all good.

And I've figured out why I'm not ever going to be a star billing agent: I don't see myself as a representative of the glorious company. I see myself as a buffer between the subscribers and the company. An interpreter. A mediator. I'm generally on the customer's side (unless they're harpies who go for my jugular, in which case, screw 'em) and what I do is try to get them what they want and make them happy. That doesn't necessarily mean talking them into buying some new expanded service. Hardly ever, in fact. It does mean apologizing a lot and extending sympathy and validating righteous anger, often with credits, but very very few of *my* subs disconnect their services entirely -- they just don't buy that by-our-lady phone. Which is usually okay by me.

Happy! People should be happy! My first supervisor here was very pushy about what I should be saying and how I should be *positioning the sale* (manipulating the situation), giving sales pitch examples, and asked, "Why can't you just *say* that?" and I replied, "Because I have some concern for my immortal soul."

Oh, I don't know, it just fell right out of my mouth, sans forethought. I got a very dirty look. But seriously, people call crying (literally) because they got talked into this or that and now their husband is threatening them and I just don't want to be the reason someone is having a bad bad evening, you know?

And yes, I walked today on my lunch. Not a whole lot, just over a mile, but I walked, and watched an episode of Frasier.

Back to the knitting.

1 comment:

Jenna said...

When Adam and I were dating we both got phone elbow. It was literally so painful. We talked 24 hours a day (slept still on the phone) and elbows apparently just don't like to be bent ALL the time. I feel for you.

Good for you for walking!