After a certain age, they say, that's what life is.
So today I had the vast pleasure of a day taken off from work, even though I had to go see the dentist this morning (one filling, two temporary crowns, two minor choking incidents when tiny amounts of water dribbled down my throat while lying back in that chair) and the new ear/nose/throat dude for the long long long-term sinus problem. He wants to be sure it isn't migraines before putting me on antibiotics (if it is, I'll eat one of my hats) and sent me off to schedule a CT scan. Argh! More negotiating for time-off! But the gods were smiling and the folks in Radiation said, "Oh, we can do this right now if you want." And they did. CT scan is not my very very favorite thing but it beats waterboarding.
I didn't walk today. Yet. We do have a treadmill and I do totally know the value of walking. I walked 2-5 miles a day nearly every day for 5 years and it absolutely bless-its-heart helped me cope with some mad stress as well showering me with all its purely physical benefits. I lost 80 pounds in the first year and kept it off without watching what I ate -- until we moved to Arizona and it was just too bloody hot to go out. It's one of those things that I *know* I need to do for about seven different reasons but find excuses to avoid. Walking outdoors is more enjoyable than the treadmill, but walking outdoors here near home is just asking too much of my knees -- not the uphill, but the inevitable downhill. Walking in Golden Gate Park last year was really nice but we only did it once a week: it involves clement weather (you know: the opposite of *inclement* weather) and getting fully dressed and driving down through the Haight without stopping to shop and then finding a parking place inside the park and then doing the walking and then all of that again in reverse.
So, yeah, I know my doctors are right -- one of them even walks his talk (oh, grin!), being a walk-to-work guy from right here in the neighborhood. But with much younger knees.
I know what's good for me, I really do, but getting my sorry behind onto the treadmill regularly is a chore, even with music and audiobooks. I'd go do it right now but Obie's coming over in a few minutes and I also need to load some French lessons into my computer and there's laundry to fold and cats to groom and ...
3 comments:
..still got those bills to pay.
I hear ya on the umph to get going on the treadmill thing. I hated going to the gym because it involved getting me all decked out in workout gear fashions and both kids dressed and packed for the daycare there at a way early hour and then the driivvveeee ughhhh the driivveeee. But at least when I got there it was a hardcore workout for 2 hours. Now that I own a treadmill, I thought life would be so much easier! I don't have to get all fancy to workout! No drive! Super do-able! And it is..I'm sure. But it mostly sits there and taunts me and gives me high blood pressure when I think about how much we paid for it and it just sits there. I use it from time to time. Orion's allowed to start using it again. But I know I should be using it more.
I'm mostly just not into sweating. There..I said it.
The better version of me works out all the time. The real version thinks about it.
I love Abby's comment about the two versions of ourselves. So true! The better version of me is a runner, and I come running on into the sunny kitchen and throw back a bottle of water while I glow and glisten with sweat, my tanned legs all defined so beautifully with feminine muscles. (not manly ones)
I know you know it all, Mom. You're success in walking off all that weight back when is always an inspiration to me. I used to go on those 4 and 5 mile walks with you from time to time and loved that time together.
Post a Comment