Friday, July 24, 2009

Foggy Frosty Summer

I'm half afraid I'll break the spell if I mention it, but we have had the World's Coldest Summer so far, and since August is pretty much always cold, it could well be an easy slide into winter. Well, except for October, which is always too hot. You may have noticed in the pictures of the museum visit that everyone is wearing jackets. Mark Twain supposedly said that the coldest winter he ever spent was a summer in San Francisco, but those killjoys over at snopes.com insist he never said that. I'll bet he thought it, though.

Today I am wearing sweatpants (my warmer pair) and have socks on my feet even though I'm just here in the house, which I usually don't do unless I'm also wearing sneakers in the house -- which I don't do unless I'm on the treadmill. (I tried the treadmill barefoot once and do not recommend it.) I can get by in a t-shirt because there are sweaters and shawls at the ready. I've been dressed like this ever since the brief hot-snap in April, except for the week in Arizona. Obviously.

I've seen the sun maybe half a dozen times.

This rocks!

3 comments:

Hannah said...

I'm so so so envious! I just can't wait for the cooler weather to roll in so I can get all snuggled up in a blanket and drink some hot cocoa.

We actually had a pretty decent storm last night. With so much wind, I thought our house was going to blow over. Today its very gloomy with just a sprinking of rain here and there and very muggy. But at least it's not 120 outside.

I took the kids to the library and found that book you used to (maybe still) have Back to Basics. I'm excited to look through it!

Jenna said...

Weird because it's been really hot here the last few weeks. And, my neighbor just told me that there's going to be lots of heat all the way up the coast, even into Seattle, where it's supposed to be 100! Maybe you'll get lucky and it will skip right over you. Your weather sounds delightfully cozy.

David said...

The cool weather here is often just a local San Francisco phenomenon, due to the Golden Gate and the Bay. Where I work, 30 minutes south, it has been sunny. (But there we have air conditioning. :-) )