Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Moving Right Along

You may recall some comments about the Charlotte's Web shawl that I started last month after having drooled over the pattern since 2003 or so. You may also recall that I was doing a whole lotta frogging on it (so called because a frog goes a little like: Rip It, Rip It) and I was WAY frustrated and also way determined.

On Saturday I finished it and took it upstairs to block it (because my room upstairs in the only carpeted space with room enough to lay out something that is supposed to be 76x38).

Little hand weights are very useful for blocking knit items. :o)
And here is the pile of yarn I had to rip out because the pattern *should* have said to block the shawl to size and *then* crochet the edging, but it said to do the edging first, which, as it turned out, kept the shawl from stretching. Duh.

I don't know why these colors show so washed out -- I tried it with and without flash but no improvement. The carpet is a much deeper blue and those purples were like a dream of a bowl of ripe grapes and plums. Anyhow, even though it had to be cut in several places in the removing, I saved the yarn and will find something else to do with it, have no fear.
But here is the finished product, after a day of blocking and then reworking the edging and finally making the fringe. Note the very artsy way it's hanging.

Note also that the progress bars for Hannah's family's Christmas stockings have been removed, and here they are, waiting for me to box them up to be shipped:

So there we are. For now.

In other news, I'm significantly worried about a couple of my kids right now, because they never stop being your kids and you never stop feeling like, as the mom, you should be able to fix things. You can't, but you feel it anyway.

And my lower back is absolutely killing me and defies all attempts to soothe it. It feels fine during yoga and it feels pretty good after about 30 minutes of walking but I find that I need to do things besides yoga and walking during the day. This isn't the sciatica, this is just good old fashioned back pain. Sleeping works for awhile and so do really good pain pills, which I happen to have. I think I'll take one of those, and then maybe a nap while I wait for the unusually late mailman to bring me a movie to watch while I walk.

Y'all have a fine afternoon.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

OOoh! I like the shawl! Very colorful! I also love the stockings!

I sometimes don't know if it's my place to make requests, but I don't like to nag Josiah to make requests for me and I also don't want to stress anyone (you) out, but I was wondering if we are at all on the list for Nana-made stockings? I realize we have 2nd to the biggest family and there may be some that take precedence over us and that's fine. I'm just curious (in my ever so cute, little girl-ish sorta way) if we can sometime in the future expect our very own hand made by you, stockings? (Take your time to think about it. No need to rush with your response.)

Sarah said...

Love,
Sarah

YogaNana said...

Actually I was going to ask you for next year. I didn't want to push, because you might have some you made or your mom made that you prefer to continue using, but I was going to ask anyway. I find I can do one family a year and still have time to do ornaments and gifts and so forth, so yeah - I'll be happy to do your clan for 2010. :o)

I'll send you some pictures before that with suggestions of what they might look like so you can choose.

Love,
Mom

Hannah said...

WOOHOO!!! Oh my gosh!!! I'm so friggin excited!!!! I may just hang them up as soon as they get here! They turned out perfect Mom. Absolutely perfect!!! (check out all those exclamation points.)

And wow to the shawl. That must have taken forever.

Maybe now that you're retired you should start scheduling regular massages to help with your back. I mean I know that's a pretty tough thing to require but you gotta do what you gotta do. Hehehehe.

Thank you so much Mom. You really are amazing.

Jenna said...

I have a feeling I'm one of the kids that has you worried, and that made me cry. I'm so sorry, Mom. Worry about the others. I'll be fine.

And the shawl is amazing! So brilliant in every way. I love it. And Hannah's stockings are darling! She is going to have one heck of a party when they arrive. Don't string her along for too long.

Hannah said...

No seriously Jenna, I totally will!!

Abby said...

Hannah's stockings are *adorable*! And that shawl is so very colorful and cute and oh so very you. Loves it!