Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Explanation About the *Farmer* Thing

It was quite awhile back. Over on Facebook I created one of those How Well Do You Know ... quizzes and one of the answers (that no one got right) was that I wanted to be a farmer when I was young. A couple of people expressed surprise.

But that *was* what I wanted to be. I had several picture books about farmers and I knew that a farmer has one brown cow to give milk, three or four woolly sheep, a nice fat pink pig with a mud puddle, a goat who eats tin cans, a couple of hens and a lot of fluffy yellow chicks, one rooster who crows every morning, some (always mallard) ducks to swim in the pond (every farmer also has a pond), one big fat turkey (brown, with a tail that is always spread into a great big fan), and a dapple-grey horse, or maybe a pair of them, to pull his plow.

What a farmer does is get up every morning and feed all those happy animals and then just sit around and enjoy them all day.

I've always loved animals. That's why I wanted to be a farmer.

And if I couldn't be a farmer, I wanted to be a zookeeper.

1 comment:

Jenna said...

Yes, if that were truly the description of being a farmer, it would be you!

I think it's adorable. Just unexpected at first thought.