Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Vital Extras

I'm cooking again. I knew I was *really* cooking again one evening last week when I couldn't find one of the ingredients for something I was making and found myself pulling open cupboards and moving things around in the refrigerator, with the rusty wheels of that withered Food Prep portion of my brain cranking slowly back into motion and then beginning to whir: "What can I substitute? How can I alter this? And still have it edible?"

I don't remember what the dish in question was (it wasn't the night I couldn't find the block of cheddar that I was positive I bought and which David found several days later lurking behind the GatorAde six-pack -- no, on that night he picked up some grated cheese on the way home from work and dinner went as otherwise planned). What I remember was the exhilaration of having had a hitch in the gitalong and then working it out like I knew what I was doing!

Woohoo!

I've always felt like I'm a sad excuse for a cook. (Well, maybe you would have to have had Gloria for a mother-in-law, like I did, to totally get that.) Cookies -- oh, hell, yeah, I'll bake you cookies! Oatmeal, peanut butter, tollhouse, snickerdoodles -- mine were really fantastic. My sugar cookie recipe (which admittedly I got from my mother) made the absolute best Christmas cookies EVER, especially when decorated with buttercream frosting! Brownies -- don't get me started on my own brownies. But that and a few cakes (sour cream blueberry, for instance) was about where it ended. With everything else (you know, MEALS) I was faking it. I was sensitive and defensive and even though I got few actual complaints, there were little signals. Micah ate nothing but potatoes and breads for years. On extended-family picnics I was always assigned to bring soda and chips. Things like that.

So in spite of putting a meal on the table every night, my kitchen self-esteem was way way low.

Many pieces of my self-esteem were way way low by then, in fact. As early as elementary school it was pointed out to me that I can't sing. Personally I thought my voice was acceptable -- no Diana Ross, certainly, but okay for a kid. Apparently not to other ears, and that's tough for a kid who loved popular music and even not-so-popular music and who belonged to a church that stressed a lot of singing -- IN PARTS, no less. By junior high it had also been well-established (by those who passed for my friends) that I have no rhythm and cannot dance and should not even try, no matter what godawful freeform movements were being executed out on the dance floor by others. Mine were worse.

When I was working I pretty much stopped cooking along with stopping everything else I had done and enjoyed and felt fulfilled by, such as sewing and writing and drawing and anything having to do with yarn. And even though I inflicted my voice upon my immediate household, I felt bad about it, and I NEVER EVER sang where anyone to whom I had not given birth might hear me. We will not even discuss dancing. Nope, none of it, just the essentials, and none of those things are *essential.*

Well, yes they are -- they're *my* essence, they're essential to me, they're some of the things that make *me,* and I was without them for a long time. Years. There was the one moment with the singing: back in Arizona I located and joined a group in Tempe that was working its way through The Artist's Way, billed as a course for *blocked creatives,* and if there was ever a blocked creative, it was me. They met twice a month. They were excellent. I'm no longer in touch with a single one of them, I have no idea where they are now, but I love them.

They never could get me to dance. I cried a lot about that and they tried to help but I had shot myself in the foot on that one because the more I called attention to the fact that I had an issue with it, the more I simply could not even try. But aside from the Freedance sessions and all the art and the writing exercises and the going around the circle talking about how our lives were going and the encouragement to do (and share, if we wanted to) Morning Pages, aside from all of that and field trips and more, they had open mic every now and then and we were encouraged to get up and sing. To push our own envelopes, and for most of us, that meant singing, aloud, alone.

It took about a year. I practiced for awhile and I sang into a tape recorder and tried to listen critically (how off-key am I? I can't tell!), and finally one night I took the mic and sang, "Dream a Little Dream of Me." My audience was amazing. They neither moaned nor laughed. They smiled, they swayed along, and on the final fade-out they joined softly in.

The change in my attitude wasn't immediate, but it began there. Slowly I began to come back and it always felt to me like I was reclaiming lost bits of my soul. I went to school nights to learn bodywork and various healing techniques and suddenly I felt there was more to me than cracker winner (something thinner than breadwinner). I found and began hanging out a bit with my best friend from high school, Sue aka Sam aka Sioux, and she was about 300% into making detailed and cute-as-a-button wall quilts, which we began making together. On my way to the hospital to be there for Mikayla's birth I ran (literally) through the yarn shop on Main St and bought a lot of bright yarn to begin a sweater for her while we waited.

That was followed by more yarn. And more. After my recent and thrilling retirement, I began to sew a bit. The machine was a dusty mess, I can tell you.

I sing now. I sing in the car, I sing around the house, and if anyone anywhere says, "How does that song go?" I will sing it for them and, the thing is, when I stopped looking for them to wince, they stopped wincing. I recall sitting at a light with the windows down, singing along to "Jumprope Jive" on one of the Sandra Boynton albums (I think it's Philadelphia Chickens and no, I have no shame or inhibitions, I listen to kids' music in public), when a convertible pulled up beside me with two women in it. They looked at me and I looked back at them and continued singing and they began to seat dance. It was a great moment.

And now I'm cooking! (Speaking of jive ... but that's slang from an era even before my own.) A lot of the old recipes, adapted: we don't eat beef as a general rule, for instance, but ground turkey works nicely. David likes my meatloaf and my enchiladas, we're going good. A couple of nights ago I broke out the macaroni and cheese and the blueberry muffins and the broccoli. I think I had every mixing bowl of every size and a good share of the pans out, fanned all across the kitchen, along with my laptop for iTunes. We (the cats and I) started with the Beatles, and had a fantastic time, singing and dancing dinner into being.

I felt some sympathy for the guy next door, what with the way sound travels between close-set houses up here, but then I reminded myself that I don't always like the show tunes he sings on Sunday mornings while he's cooking, either. So there we are. (Great smells come from that house, though!)

Bit by bit I'm coming back to myself and sailing beyond where I've been before. It feels so good! Sometimes, I think, we have to be stripped all the way down to our bones before we can be brought back, fleshy and juicy and whole, and better than before.

Most recent puzzle and Maddox's If-It-Takes-Forever Baby Afghan, which, happily, did not quite:

5 comments:

David said...

You sing well, and never off-key. Anyone who told you otherwise didn't know what they were talking about.

I didn't know you had stopped knitting at one point. Kinda hard to believe. :-)

Oh, and you're a good cook, too.

Abby said...

Neo!!!! Neo, you fat fluff, I've missed you! Maddox is very excited to curl up with that blanket, you have no idea.

I might be biased because I'm one of your children but I've never thought you sounded bad while singing. I STILL can't sing A You're Adorable to my kids the way you can (remember when we used to sing it together? aww)..it sounds natural coming from you and strained coming from me..but I sing it anyway.

And get out of here with the bad cook thing! Shut up..that's ridiculous. I know for a fact that the majority of your staples from our childhood are still very much the staple go to meals in our homes. I literally just made the vegetarian shepherd's pie 2 nights ago and Linda's mac n' cheese a week ago (and there always HAS to be mom's bluebery muffins with that one). When I want good home cookin, it's your recipes I go to.

I think we all think ourselves not good enough in whatever department when so many see it a totally different way. Jenna said in her blog a while back how hard it is to come from a family with SO many talents and feel like you don't really fit in. With the cooks and bakers and artists and writers and crafty and funny and downright charming people in our family it's hard to feel like you fit in. And it's like..dude, you are what makes our family so amazing.

Keep dancing..keep singing..keep doing everything no matter if anyone's watching or listening or not. Never deprive yourself of happiness.

Sarah said...

Aww! I loved reading this! I'm so bad at blogging and commenting these days but I'm glad I took the few minutes to sit here and read that. It's nice to see into other people's lives and what they've gone through to be where/what/who they are today.

Love you!

-Sarah

Jenna said...

Great post, Mom. We are alike in many ways. I could totally relate to this, though my insecurities have come from other places.

However, you are a good cook! We were very poor growing up, and I know from firsthand experience how difficult it is to create meals at all, let alone stellar culinary creations, with pretty much no money. But everything you created was good. Very good! (Plus you taught me those 'survival' skills in the kitchen, which have proven very useful! Still do!) But I loved your Swiss Steak over mashed potatoes, Creamed Chipped Beef, Shepherd's Pie, and many others. Oh, and if it makes you feel better, when I lived in Utah, just before getting married, Grandmom VS came out to stay with me for a visit and of course she took over the kitchen. She asked what we wanted to eat and then she went to the store and obliged for the whole week. One night she made enchiladas and as I complimented her on how good they were, do you know what she said? She said:

"Oh, thanks, Jen, this is your mother's recipe."

!!!!!!!! Did you hear that? !!!!!

I hope that makes your day.

Oh, and I also have fond memories of you teaching me to harmonize long before I officially learned to be an alto. You have a fine voice, and I've caught you dancing in the kitchen on more than one occasion, with reckless abandon.

Keep going.

Hannah said...

It's funny the things we see in ourselves that don't translate to others. All of those things you mentioned not being good at, those are the things I remember most fondly about you. Singing, dancing, cooking, doing all things creative with your hands, that to me, is the definition of my Mom.

And I do believe, you've passed those traits (or the desire to have those traits) on to at least all of your daughters.