Well, gee, here's goes.
1. When I was about five I lifted a submerged ladybug up out of the irrigation water (pop quiz: how many here know what irrigation water is?) and held it on my hand til it dried out and flew away. I decided that I must be a gifted healer of animals. It occurs to me now to wonder how in the world a ladybug came to be "trapped" underwater in the first place. Perhaps she was attempting to end it all and I ruined her day.
2. When I was four (I have to go way back to find things that no one knows, especially when my kids, sister and partner are here) I overheard my mother and father fretting about money, and I assured them that they didn't have to worry so much because soon I would be going to school. Which I assumed was a paying job. They looked at me as if I were strange.
3. You know those things on school playgrounds that look like a ladder married (or at least flirted brazenly with) a pyramid, with the poles in the center to slide down? I was always terrified of them and deeply ashamed to be so.
4. I was also afraid to do the monkey bars things, the ones like a horizontal ladder, and yet I would stand up on the seat of my bike. Didn't let go, but did stand up.
5. I know all the verses to Good King Wenceslas. Oh, wait -- David knows that because I sang them a couple of days ago. It's possible all the kids know that, too, although I'm not sure I ever pointed out to them that these were all the verses. How about this? I know all the verses to Good King Wenceslas (although not necessarily how to spell it) because my grandparents came for Christmas when I was about seven or eight and there had been a carolling session on the plane (it was a simpler time) and they left the little booklet of songs, which I then studied.
6. My favorite memory of one set of cousins was going to their little farm just outside Mesa (which is now in the heart of Mesa) on a very warm evening and making peach ice cream in an old wooden crank ice cream freezer. I don't much care for peach ice cream, but that batch was wonderful.
7. I could do a cartwheel. And the splits. And stand on my head. I tried a headstand not long ago as part of my yoga session and it seems my center of gravity has wandered off somewhere else entirely.
8. I learned to knit at church when I was 10, and was taught by a woman from England and another from France.
9. I only recently found out that I love love love Medieval History, which is a pity because I didn't know it in time to major in it. Instead, I majored in Art (where all the boys flaunting the dress code were, heh heh) and minored, in a minor-ish way, in English. Had I waited til I was 50 to go to college I might have applied myself and learned something.
10. I go all ADD in the presence of especially beautiful colors and can just sit and soak them up forever. I inherited an especially wonderful hand-crafted kaliedescope from my friend Gabriel who passed last year, and I mostly leave it on a shelf because once I hold it to the light and start slowly turning the wheel, I'm a goner.
Ahhhh!!!!!!!!
No one to tag, I only read the family blogs, really. Oh, okay: Noah.
Pretty sure he doesn't read this one. :o)
9 comments:
Hey!! I know all the verses to Good King Wenceslas too! Wanna know how? I loved that big fat Christmas Carol book you had. The one with carols from all over the world. I think one year it was one of the tings I memorized for Christmas spending money. That and Oh Tannenbaum (in German mind you)
Good King Wenceslas is my song of choice to sing in the shower all year round. My family thinks I'm strange.
That was great, Mom! And I loved that big fat book of Christmas carols too! I used to play from it on the piano, if you remember, and even got hired by the Mure's to play at a doctors' Christmas party. $60/hr! I used that book! I know more Christmas carols than most, because of you and that book, Mom.
I still have that book, although some of the front pages are missing. When I was learning to play the pennywhistle I was FINALLY teaching myself - okay, with David's help - how to read music a little and for awhile there I could hoot my way through several of the carols in it. Haven't done that in recent months, been meaning to get the book out (all my bells and whistles, literally, are in a little basket in the living room) and try it again. Thanks for the reminder!
ps -- our poor, poor neighbors!
and also: Strange is where the juice is. You may quote me. :o)
Wait...Noah has a blog????? Where is it???
I was just thinking that same thing Jenna!
These were all great! I loved reading them and getting to know even more about you!
http://nvansciver.wordpress.com/
That's what I have for Noah, is there a different one?
That's it. It's mostly pages from the comics he's doing.
I love #10 because hahaha I've SEEN you get all ADD around bright colors. You're like "ooooo" and then you're kind of gone. hahaha awwww mom's so cute.
Post a Comment