And then Jenna said: Did Sarah just say "Gee", and use it correctly?
************
She did, and I was going to comment on that. :o) So now I will.
For those who are going, 'What?", 'gee,' pronounced 'ghee' (hard 'g') is an old family word meaning something like, 'too cute for words.' I think it came from a read-aloud by one of Jenna's or Ethan's very earliest school teachers, who read the word wrong. Maybe it was in The Fox and the Hound. Someone will correct this tale, no doubt, but the word came home and stuck. I see it lives on.
The mouse in the previous post is one of a large set of Dickensian Mice designed by an amazing knitter named Alan Dart. He does the CUTEST little critters! (The gee-est!)

Go here to see those that are downloadable: http://www.alandart.co.uk/pages/products
He's British and publishes a design each month in a popular knitting magazine over there and occasionally publishes little books of instructions which are maddeningly hard to get. (He's got a fantastic Noah's Ark and the pamphlet can be had for a mere $97 ... plus shipping ... unless someone else already got it.) There's a second set of Dickensian Mice and I've got those instructions on order from a source in England. There's a second Nativity, a little larger and more detailed than the one on the website, and I've got that ordered, too. There's a Peter Rabbit and a Jemima Puddleduck and several breeds of realistic dogs -- I swear I don't know how this guy does it. Anyhow, we're working on the mice and this one was my first. That's a plum pudding on her platter. I would love to make them for the ornaments one year but she took more than a week (and she's a bit on the large side, ornamentally-speaking), so that's not to be. But perhaps one or two, here and there, or perhaps figures from one of Alan Dart's little nativity sets ...
5 comments:
(I'm almost done blushing...)
Josiah used that word quite a bit in our early years of being married. I guess he thought I was "GEE" or something. (blush) It slowly stopped getting used, probably because we had a toddler who could speak and we started using the words that she used. (i.e. "obidella!" meant something was over, like a movie. "deedee" was her blanket, etc.) "GEE" has come out here or there over the years, but only when it is seriously meant and there are no other words to describe your true emotions. Which explains my usage of the word in connection with the adorable little mouse! :)
You're awesome Sarah!!
I'm so in love with those sets Mom. It's times like this that I wish my knitting was more advanced than scarf and doll blanket-abled.
Sarah IS pretty gee.
I have no memory of how the word got its origin in our family. It was just always there.
I have to go see the Noah's Ark thing...oh my gosh. I may never get it out of my mind again. The mice are adorable. You are so talented, Mom.
I found the pattern (and a picture) of the Noah's Ark on Ebay for $24.80USD. SO STINKIN CUTE! I wish I wasn't such a knitting retard.
The Troy Ceratops is adorable too! What a fun sleeping buddy!
You girls really ought to try 'em! They're really not hard, just a lot of following directions carefully. Knit, purl, increase, decrease. Lots of knitting help available these days on the internet, lots of little videos (youtube).
As for the eBay stuff, I can't do those. It drives me nuts to bid and wonder and check again and bid and wait and ... and lately PayPal and I are on the outs anyhow. I'd rather stick to things I can just buy outright.
But! I learned on Alan Dart's website last night that he has a sold-out book which is going to be reprinted in February and it contains .... (drumroll) ... Noah's Ark!
I can't wait for February. :o)
And, yep, Sarah is gee!
Post a Comment