Saturday, March 21, 2009

Into the Wild

Through Jenna's friend Luisa I found something called Book Crossing, which aims to make the world a library. What a nice idea! I signed up, bought a bundle of their (optional) special Free Book bags and (also optional) bookplates, and registered twenty of our *'extra books.' Each registered book gets a BookID number and is in the database.
Each one then gets a bookplate in the front with its BID and where and when it was registered. And then it gets popped into its bag. Here are my original twenty, along with Neo and Yarrow. Yarrow is, of course, licking one of the plastic bags. He's a plastic-licker. Drives me nuts.

And then ... each is released Into the Wild, with the hope that someone will find it and take it home and love it and perhaps report to the BookCrossing site where they found it and perhaps even pass it along again when it's been read. I could enter into the database where each was released and write a little review of it, but I still have a full-time job and a lot of Lost episodes to catch up on and half a dozen knitting projects sitting in little mounds beside my bed and upstairs in my work area. So I wrote a lot of three to five word reviews (example: "Better than the movie!") and didn't specify where any of them were going, but here's a hint: Golden Gate Park is a few blocks away and has a LOT of benches.
Travel safely and happily, little books!

*'extra books' in the sense that when we combined libraries we discovered we have between us multiple copies of a lot of titles -- even moreso because we also got access to Gabriel's books when he died and Gabriel's house was literally (ha ha!) lined with floor-to-ceiling bookshelves

2 comments:

Josiah said...

That's a cool little idea. I wish I was more of a book-person and had a massive collection of well-known books that I have actually read.

YogaNana said...

How's your Amazon Wish List?