Friday, May 15, 2009

Feel a Need for Human Contact?

Try Safeway. Good grief. Bumps and collisions in every aisle. Couples picking out Friday night wine or fancy-schmancy bakery breads for dinner, youngsters obliviously plugged into their iPods, tall thin males with little shopping baskets swinging freely at the ends of long arms, middle-ages women built like steamrollers and clearly working to a deadline.

I was just trying to be as small and non-invasive as I could be, round as I am, and with a shopping cart in front of me.

Then I ran into (really) a fragile-looking little old lady at least fifteen years older than me, maybe twenty, in lime green capris and aqua t-shirt with her mammoth sunglasses riding up on top of her head. She managed to shove her cart between me and my cart and a display of chocolate syrup on one side and a family of three (older child, not infant) with their cart on the other. In the middle of the aisle.

"Excuse me," I said when our carts collided.

"Oh, it's not your fault, honey," she said in her Outdoor Voice, and threw her thumb towards the family who was mulling over the many options in pancake mix and ignoring the traffic problem. "*They're* in the way!"

And she unlocked our wheels and sped on down the aisle. I guess that's how you get to be eighty in the City.

3 comments:

Hannah said...

hahahaha! That sounds like Mike's worst nightmare.

Jenna said...

That's a great story, Mom! A spunky old lady plowing her way through the grocery store. Love it!

Sarah said...

I'm lol'ing over here! Did you take notes? Or maybe you don't plan on living in the city for the next 20 years....after that last post and all...But the picture you painted of where we can all build houses? Sounds splendid! Although the mountain lion frightens me just a bit.