You know, sir, it really doesn't matter if you're a Christian minister. That's really not the issue. If a list of Adult Pay Per Views @13.99 each appear on your cable bill, it's because someone in your household ordered them, and yep, they are traceable directly to the cable box in one of the bedrooms. So someone there is going to have to pay for them, and I'm sorry if you find that offensive. It's not an accusation, it's just what happened and I have the serial number of your cable box right here on the orders.
Oh, you run a halfway house for sex offenders? And yet this bill shocks you?
This really happened. Yesterday. Only I handled it more diplomatically than this.
At the very end of the day, after I had been hugged and wished well by all kinds of people and one young black woman (about 90% of the people I worked with in Concord were black and the majority of them young) who was on my team and for whose new baby I knit a really cute purple hat sought me out to exchange email addresses and give me a picture of the baby as well as a hug; after my supe Keia officially checked me out and loaded me down with info about Cobra and stock options (ha!) and downgrading my services at the house (which we are going to do because we really don't watch even a small portion of the cable that has been available to us while I was working for the company); after all my equipment was returned and accounted for (including the *ergo* chair that made me hurt from one end to the other, including my arms there halfway between; after I've been handed my final pay-out and my badge has been taken and I'm just sitting there letting the clock run out and taking calls rather half-heartedly, wanting to LEAVE ...
I was sitting in After-Call (a bad thing to do if I were still being monitored) and it was 6:26, and I thought, "Well, let's take one more for the road, and hope it's short." Because I did not want to get into some long complicated thing that was going to run well into OverTime and have to hassle about that.
So I hit Available and a 209 area code pops up (SPA 22, 8495, Central California) and a male voice says, "I'm from California and I had to move back East. Do you service Long Island, NY?" Comcast is based in Philadelphia and services Massachusetts and Connecticut and so forth, but I checked for him, and sorry, no New York. We talked a bit about East Coast/West Coast, and he said, "I hope this call is being recorded. I just want it on the record that you folks provide really excellent service. So much better than anything I've been able to get here. And you've been a pleasure to talk with. Have a nice weekend."
Bing! 6:30. Perfect. An anomalous call, to be sure, but a perfect way to end.
Oh, and I sold 3 CDV units yesterday. Which NEVER happens. If I'd been pushy, it could have been 5.
The last couple of weeks have been pretty rough, anxiety on too many fronts. I've withdrawn and haven't been posting or communicating much. Next week I'm flying down to Arizona for a few days to see my family there. David can't leave his job right now, so I'm relieved that Abby was able to go at the same time and route her flight from Honolulu through San Francisco, where I'll jump on the same plane. Otherwise I was really ready to just hop in the car and do the road trip, but after driving just 3 hours a day all this week, I am forced to admit I may be past the stage where 12 hours behind the wheel is going to work out happily, even if it's two 6-hour days.
Be seeing some of you soon.
5 comments:
Ya know..for the record..the ordered porn thing DOES happen. It happened to me like..twice in Kentucky..always while Orion was away (not that he has time or need for such things anyway) and it was pretty much always during dinner too when I KNOW no one was parked in front of the tv. I don't know if someone was able to tap into our box or what..but it happened. Twice. And one of those times, I was forced to pay for it and I was mighty angry about it. The lady suggested one of my children did it..during dinner..on the only tv in the house which was right next to the dining room and that they somehow guessed my very own made up code. Right.
That guy's situation sounds a little suspect..but I assure you, ordered porn happens to good people who didn't order it.
Yay for no more Comcast! You should open up an Etsy store or something..that'd be cute.
I say it's great karma that your Comcast days ended the way they did.
So, how do you feel? Relieved, melancholy, sentimental, eager for what's next...?
I'm glad you and Abby are making the trip together. I wish the timing were such that I could come too, but I have to stop feeling horribly guilty about it, because I just can't do everything right now. Love you!
WooHoo! Can't wait to see you two.
Aww! What a perfect ending and it caused me to get all teary eyed!
See you soon!
Happy Mother's Day!
Post a Comment