Saturday, October 25, 2008

My Own Little Spook Fest

I love October. I love the nights getting longer and colder and more forbidding, and the leaves turning colors and dropping to the ground to crunch underfoot, I love the bright blue of the mornings and the crispness in the air that you can actually smell. (Yes, I said 'smell' and 'crispness.') I love the piles of pumpkins in the grocery and on corner lots. I love apple cider, hot, with cinnamon.

I love to be scared.

Even in San Francisco with no crisp mornings (it's actually warmer than it was a couple of months ago) and no chilly evenings, even here where I have to drive over the Bay Bridge to Berkeley if I want to see colored leaves, even now when I have to severely limit my consumption of hot apple cider (cinnamon is a redeeming factor, though) ... it's still October and still time for scary stuff, accessed from a room with a light in a house with a lock on the door.

I asked some friends what was the scariest book they ever read and the scariest movie they ever saw, and many of them voted for 'Night of the Living Dead' as the scariest movie.

We're talkin' the original from back in the late '60's, early '70's, I don't feel like looking it up. But I'll agree it was scary -- maybe *too* scary. I saw it on what I recall as my first date with my now ex-husband, at a drive-in in Orem, Utah. I have zero desire to re-watch it, kind of like 'Titanic,' which was, certainly, a much much much better film, but still -- once is enough, thanks.

Another film that scared me severely was 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers.' The 1956 version, which I saw on one of those Saturday Afternoon Creep Show things they always had on tv when I was ... younger. I watched it with my mother when I was about 11 or 12 (which was not 1956, btw) and then cornered my friend Pam MIlls from across the street and told her the entire story while sitting in our driveway with the sun bright in the sky.

The 1978 remake doesn't even bear consideration. I thought I'd never feel safe with Elliot Gould or Donald Sutherland again:

But my own vote for scariest movie (that didn't drive me away from it forever) would have to go to:


They just don't make 'em like they used to. Don't even bother with the 1999 remake. DUMB!!!!!! I think they're trying too hard with horror films lately. Slashers ARE NOT scary. They're just really uncomfortable to watch. So I don't.

Books, though ... there are some really really elegant scary books! And they last longer than movies, which is good, because prolonging the pleasure (of being scared, in this case) is what we're after. At least, *I* am.

Favorite scary books, good for more than one read:
The Shining, by Stephen King.

(film sucked -- jmho)
I reread this not too awfully long ago, and more recently listened to it on audiobooks while knitting.

The Haunting of Hill House, by Shirley Jackson

The book upon which 'The Haunting' is based, and even as good as the movie is, the book is better. Currently re-listening to this one on audiobooks. While knitting. Of course!

Ghost Story, by Peter Straub

Movie was okay, not great. Book is seriously good. Currently reading this one, about 3/4 done.

After this, I think I've got 'House of the Seven Gables' and some Poe in the back room somewhere...

5 comments:

Josiah said...

Wow. I never thought of you as the scary movie type, Mom. I seem to remember you clutching up and looking away during scary movies, but maybe you like that.
I agree about the slasher flick thing, and I'm even more opposed to the recent trend of Saw and Hostel type movies. They're like weird torture-porn, and I think the FBI ought to track rentals of those types of movies for profiling.

YogaNana said...

Agree, I am SO disgusted by the idea of watching torture.

The one pinnacle most horrible don't-look scene that pops into my mind was from The Fly, the Jeff Goldblum version, when the baboon comes through the machine inside out. Nope, not watching that, right under the theatre seat!

But I think you're right, I think I've gotten a lot tougher in my old age. :o)

Hannah said...

I'd like to nominate another scary book. I totally agree with The Shining. Plus it was completely different than the movie.

But 2 Stephen King books that scare the tar out of me are "It" and "The Stand". I've read them both several times. Very good.

Abby said...

I'm going to go ahead and nominate The Birds because that still scares me a bit..especially when I see large flocks of birds. It's like they're plotting or something. Ooo creepy.

And my all time scares the pants off of me movie is IT, of course. I covered the drain in the bath tub for YEARS after that one..and clowns generally creep me out anyway. But..you already know that. Hahaha

Jenna said...

This was a great post, Mom! I love scary movies/books too! I love to be scared, and I'm lucky that it doesn't linger for me. Once the movie is over, I'm fine, and I never (hardly ever) have nightmares. I haven't seen any of these old movies, or read any of these books, except The Shining. Can't wait to add them to my list!