So I'm leaving my dentist's office and I hear a lot of horns honking and chanting voices and general carrying-on outside, and I open the door to the street expecting -- well, I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't a long parade of small children staging a protest.
But marching up the other side of the street was, indeed, a line of kids who were maybe eight or nine years old, interspersed with three or four teachers, one of whom was carrying her own toddler on her shoulders and another of whom had a baby in a backpack. Some of the kids were holding signs they had obviously made themselves and which were hard to read from across the street, but I was able to get the gist of the situation after a couple of blocks. Apparently there is some issue about turning off the lights around the school in the late afternoon and evening. The teacher with the backpacked baby was somehow managing to walk at the head of the line facing backwards without stumbling (old city sidewalks, uneven, and up and down hill) calling out, "What do we want?"
Kids: "Lights!"
Teacher: "When do we want them?"
Kids: "After school!"
Passing drivers honked in support.
Way to go, kids! Never let The Man keep you in the dark! :o)
1 comment:
Hahahaha!!! That's just TOO cute! I love it!
Post a Comment