At Jenna's request, I'll try to think of seven things no one knows about me. Or, maybe not *everyone* knows about me.
1. I would LOVE to learn to do stained glass and throw pots on a wheel. A little something for the (crowded) Post-Retirement To Do List. Yeah, I took ceramics my freshman year of college but I was more interested in one of my classmates than in the clay.
2. One day when I was in 4th grade I woke up and couldn't walk. It was a Sunday -- I remember dragging myself down the hallway to the living room to get the funny-papers. It felt like my calf muscles had shrunk and it hurt to try and stand. I think my mother thought I was faking it, but eventually I developed flat red spots, like a wild case of freckles, on my legs and I think on my stomach. I was hauled to doctors and specialists and as far as I know they never figured out what was wrong. I missed two months of school. One day it began to get better and the spots faded to pale brown and then disappeared. And I went back to school. (*Note: I was one of those kids who LIKE school.)
3. I was totally horse-crazy as a kid, but never got to be good at riding: too little opportunity and too much fear of falling. (Which happened once, and once was enough.) It wasn't the horse I was afraid of, it was the height. I've always felt like I was good with animals, though -- like I understand them. Especially dogs. Cats -- we don't admit we understand cats, if we do, because cats pride themselves on their inscrutability. (See? I also understand cats.)
4. Speaking of dogs, I love 'em, especially big hairy ones. That part is far from unknown. What might be new info is that I had friends in Colorado who had several hybrid wolves (yeah, yeah, it was illegal, so they called them dogs, but when the moon was full there was *some* kinda howling going on!), and I really liked them. Once I had the opportunity to take one for a walk when we were all camping together in the mountains. Wolves are a lot stronger than they look, I can tell you. It was good that he didn't spot a rabbit, and that eventually we reached accord on the idea of going back to camp, because we were definitely going only where the wolf wanted to go.
5. My first for-pay job (other than babysitting) was doing a Summer Arts and Crafts program for the City of Mesa. My students were between 6 and 10 and I got into a little hot water for telling them ghost stories. (Well, they wanted to hear them ...)
6. If I could go back to college and actually study this time, it would be something like Northern European Folklore. Someting like: what were those stories *really* about before Disney got them? Maybe Folklore and Folk Magic. Or Folklore and Folk Magic and Folk Medicine. Northern European. I admit I haven't thought this out very well. :o) It's a work in progress, still in my head.
7. When I was 42 I wanted to be a midwife and I looked into the training program in NJ where we lived at the time. But I didn't do it because it would take five years and I figured by the time I was 47 I might as well be dead anyway because 47 is just so ... old. HA!!!!!
9 comments:
Mom, this was FANTASTIC! I should've had you list 100! I wonder what that ailment was? And...don't you wish you had done the midwifery thing anyway???? I do!
Uh-oh, I goofed. Ummmm...I did two memes that day, and I told you the wrong one I tagged you for, so I guess you have to play again! It really was an accident, and I just realized it when I went back to my blog.
The one I tagged you for is this: list 4 things about you, with one of them being a lie and we have to guess which one is a lie. On my blog, this is titled "Memory Lane Monday...On Tuesday" You in?
You told me about the 4 year old thing last year when i had pretty much the same thing. They never figured out what mine was either but I still have the pictures of the spots on my legs. They were ugly!!
Yeah, I saw the tag on your second meme but I figured the comment that said do this one superceded it, because I didn't have the energy last night to make something up. :o)
Perhaps tonight, we'll see.
I sort of wish I'd done midwifery, but even more I wish I'd kept my journalism major and started writing fiction a long time ago.
Hannah -- your spots were big and few, mine were small and plentiful. Still, I guess they might have been of the same origin, if only someone knew what that was.
Mom, I did the lie one on my blog. Let's see if you can find my lie.
I love reading these! I agree with Jenna, you should've just listed 100 things. Then I could learn even more about you. =) Maybe someday.
I don't think I *could* do 100. Since a lot of the people who read (or at least who comment on) this blog grew up under my roof, it was pretty hard to think of seven. :o)
But the 100 doesn't have to be things we don't know about you, just an autobiography of sorts...in list form! Just 100 random things. But the tradition is to do it for your 100th blog post.
Post a Comment